Where would you like to go?

Monday 15 August 2011

Good Monday

Hey guys!  Hope you're all having a good Monday so far!  First of all, I would like to apologise for not posting much last week.  I planned to but was very busy with my most challenging cake order yet.  Remember the carrier pigeon cake I made last time for dancer Kimberley?  Well, she ordered a second cake from me, but this time it was for her dancers.  Kimberley is currently travelling in Europe, shuffling from London to Barcelona, and who knows where she's off to next!  Now, before I get into the cake, here is a pic she sent me taken in the streets of London.  This is what she wanted me to create for her dancers...
She originally envisioned a 2D cake, but me being me (forever challenging myself) thought she wanted a 3D version.  When I mentioned the idea to her she got all excited about it (I was secretly stressing - lol).  I began to plan how I was going to achieve this tip-toe action...let's just say I was sleep-deprived for a while.

Once I had some plans drawn up (mainly in my head) I approached my Uncle to help me with building a base for it, since he had all the cool tools needed for this project (like Tim the Toolman Taylor from Home Improvement, and Handy Manny, hehe).  We sat down and discussed and sketched some ideas until we decided on one that we thought would work best.  I have some process pics on my phone, but I can't find the cable to upload them onto my computer...when I find it I will show you the pics.

This cake took a lot out of me.  I was really exhausted!  No sleep and a lot of trial and error in the process.  I'm just sooo glad it turned out pretty cool (for me anyway).  Sure there are things I would do differently next time had I had a bit more time to work on it, like creating the creases at the bend of the shoes, brushing off the excess icing sugar on the shoe laces and soles to give it a more streamlined finish, etc, etc - next time, with more time!

The lovely Antoinette (who works for Kimberley) collected the cake from me, but when she arrived I was still finishing it off...and so she waited very patiently.  She was watching me do my thing, talk about pressure!!  She also ended up helping keep my twin boys from attacking the cake.  They just kept running towards it.  If you don't know my boys, they are cake-aholics, but I refer to them as my cake monsters.  They love anything CAKE!

Click after the jump to see how the cake turned out...
Here it is my very own MJ TIP-TOE DANCING SHOES CAKE!  Hope you like it!  It was a lot of hard work!

P.S.  I was gutted that I didn't get to use natural light for the photos, because I didn't finish the cake 'til night time, so the pics turned out a lot more 'yellow' than it actually was.  The colour of the shoes were almost (if not) identical to the gold on the pic Kimberley sent me.  :-)  Big thanks goes to my hubby Lui for quickly snapping some pics for me, because by then I was too tired to see straight (lol).  I just did a few minor arty editing to the pics (without affecting the appearance of the actual shoes).







Hope you guys liked this post!  Don't forget to share it with your family and friends!  Come back again for more sweets and treats!  Oh, and before I go, a very happy birthday shout-out to my brother Eric who turned 25 today!  Much love from the Nesi family!

xo

1 comment:

  1. We absolutely LOVED it Jackie! Thanks so much for your talent!! Will be in touch soon with the next cake idea!!

    Kimberley and the Team at Vibe One Dance
    www.aucklanddance.co.nz
    www.facebook.com/vibeone.dance

    ReplyDelete