Where would you like to go?

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Frangipani Wedding

Good morning everyone!  I am thrilled to share with you wedding cake #3!  A Rarotongan themed wedding cake I made last week for my friend Carissa's wedding.  When she first contacted me about this cake months ago, she didn't have a specific design in mind, but was sure she wanted to incorporate Rarotonga into it, so frangipanis were a definite must!!  I came up with different sketches for this cake, and she fell in love with the bouquet idea I had.  Here's a little sketch I did using Paint...excuse the imperfections...it was my first time to use this program and a lot harder than it looks using a mouse, hehe.  I think it turned out okay though.  The main purpose was to see what I was envisioning in my head.

I'm sure you've been waiting patiently enough with my sneak peeks yesterday and last week.  So, I think it's about time I revealed the cake to you.  Hope you enjoy this gorgeous cake as much as I loved making it!!!


The green ribbon is the only thing that's not edible on this cake.  Carissa provided me with this ribbon to tie in with her wedding motif.  I think it looked great against the different shades of green!!

I have never made this many sugar flowers in my life!!  Actually, it's my first time to make frangipanis!  Very time consuming, but so worth the final outcome!  I was sooo proud at the way each flower turned out :-)

The initial 'T' represents their surname and is made of fondant.  It's kind of hard to see the shape of the letter because of the invasion of the frangipanis, lol.  

Now, I absolutely love the angle of this next shot!  So pretty!!

Carissa loved the cupcakes idea from my girlfriend Keshia's wedding in Rarotonga last year, so I made a dozen with single frangipani flowers on each cupcake to surround the cake.  Simple yet stunning!

I hope you enjoyed today's wedding cake feature!  I haven't really done many wedding cakes, but I know this is one of many to come - can't wait!!  I have sooo many ideas I want to try!!

Have an awesome day guys!!  See you again soon!!

xo,
Jackie

Update: Carissa sent me this lovely message yesterday.  It is definitely worth sharing!!

...On behalf of myself and my husband, hehe a MASSIVE Thank-you for creating such a beautiful wedding cake for us. It was absolutely stunning and I couldn't have asked for anything more beautiful. It captured the essence of Rarotonga with the tropical frangipani theme. All our guests raved about the cake and cupcakes, not only because it was soo beautiful but also because it tasted devine !!
Once again, thank-you thank-you thank-you !!...

I'm glad you and your hubby loved your wedding cake.  Thank you for letting me be a part of your special day!!  xo

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jackie, this is stunning! Well done! Did this cake make it to Rarotonga? Mum is going to make our cake for our wedding in the cook islands. But we are concerned about how butter cream or ganache will cope in the heat? Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you for your kind words :-) This cake was for a Rarotongan-themed wedding, but it was held here in New Zealand. However, I have made cake and cupcakes for my bestfriend's wedding and brought them with me to Rarotonga (last year). The cake was filled and frosted with ganache then covered and decorate with fondant (similar to this frangipani cake but smaller). I also had matching cupcakes with buttercream and fondant decor. It was very hot in Rarotonga, so the heat factor was a little bit annoying because it caused my fondant to soften, but other than that the cake and cupcakes held up well. My suggestion would be to make sure there is more chocolate than cream to achieve a firmer ganache. And as for the buttercream, incorporate some vegetable shortening (maybe a 50/50 ratio, or even more)in order to help withstand the heat. Hope this helps. All the best!! xo

      Delete