Where would you like to go?

Wednesday 22 February 2012

Happy 3rd Birthday Cylah!!

On the weekend I had the pleasure of making (yet another) cake for Cylah.  Cylah is my sister's nephew (her husband's brother's son).  Last year I made him a Woody cake (from Toy Story).  I don't think I've ever shared this cake with you (not on this blog anyway), but this is what it looked like...

This year, Cylah wanted Alvin (y'know, one of the chipmunks).  His family actually approached a local cake shop (that I referred them to) for this cake as I had to turn down the order because I was already committed with my twins' cakes that weekend.  But for some reason the cake shop declined their order as they didn't have an Alvin cake tin.  I understand character shaped tins are ideal because it makes life so much simpler, but I thought they would have offered an alternative.  I, for one, have never used a character tin before.  A lot of my cakes are carved to their desired shape.  I don't own any fancy tins, just your basic rounds and squares.  I definitely plan on investing in more equipment and tools, but for now this is it.  Just as well, they had to move the party to the following weekend (which was the weekend that just passed), so I was free to make Cylah's cake.

I didn't really know what I was going to do, so I brainstormed some ideas and did a few sketches.  After some deep thought, I decided to create a 2D Alvin.  This was a fun cake to do because I got to paint (like I would on canvas).  I really miss painting!  I used to paint a lot.  One of these days I'm sure I will feel inspired to pick up the paintbrush again.  For now, it is cake!

So before I go off onto another tangent, I think it's about time I show you the cake!  Enjoy!!


Hope you liked my Alvin cake!  Come back tomorrow for more goodies!  Can't wait!

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment