Where would you like to go?

Tuesday 13 March 2012

Happy 18th birthday Xanda!!

On the weekend I had the pleasure of making a cake for my hubby's niece Xanda.  Originally she wanted a camera cake, but changed her mind and decided to go for an iPod touch cake.  I was really excited at the challenge because, although I had done a similar (iPad) one here, this would be my first of this sort.  My main priority was to make it as clean and as close to an iPod touch as much as possible.  I contemplated on using fondant for the details of the icons because it really gives it that polished look, however I really love the challenge of hand-painting each and every one of them.  It took forever as I had to wait for coats to dry and the fact that there were so many different details that required that extra bit of attention, which of course meant 'time'.

After a couple of sleepless nights (only because I could only work on them in the night) I ended up with something pretty amazing, if I may say so myself :-)  I really love this one, and so proud at the way it turned out.  I did want to add a silver lustre dust on the grey exterior of the cake, but ran out of time.  It still looked awesome without it, so it wasn't a big deal for me.

So, here it is!  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Hand-painted details
The following icons were done minutes before we left for the party.  I wanted to personalise the cake with a birthday message, but didn't want to just pipe on it.  So I came up with the following four icons: a smiley face (happy), birthday cake (birthday), Xanda (her name), 18 (her age).

And now for some sexy angles...

Click 'read more' to see the birthday girl and some other highlights from her 18th!




Food glorious food!!
And now for some island inspired party decor...



Here's a pic of me and my boys...I was the only one ready for this shot, lol.

And lastly, here's a cute one of Javier...found himself a nice comfy spot outside.  Sooo cute!

Well, there you have it!  What a wonderful birthday party it was!  Loved all the company, the performances, the food (of course), and Ono's trifle!!  Yummm!!

Have an awesome day guys!!  See you again soon!!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment